What We Do
High-Performing Districts, High-Achieving Students
Our mission is to lead the delivery of high-quality, research-based statewide systems of support for districts designated by the Illinois State Board of Education.
The Illinois Center for School Improvement (Illinois CSI) helps leaders from underperforming urban, rural, and suburban districts transform their systems to ultimately drive higher student achievement. Illinois CSI takes a distinctively hands-on, collaborative approach to get long-term results, empowering districts with research and best practices and placing them front and center in driving their own transformations.
- Partners with districts to transform their systems through a step-by-step process of assessment, data interpretation, coaching, collaboration, and progress monitoring. We deliver:
- Priority services to 30 districts with performance scores in the lowest 5 percent statewide
- Focus services to 66 districts with underperforming subgroups, including students from low-income households, those who have special needs, and those for whom English is a second language
- Provides resources, including an arsenal of research-based processes and tools such as our Core Functions and Indicators, which are the "big ideas" of effective practices
- Facilitates ongoing District Leadership Team Learning Network and Research Forums, which bring together district leaders and their teams for day-long meetings to glean the latest research and share ideas
- Coordinates specialized support through our network of statewide system of support (SSoS) partners and affiliates, and helps ensure alignment of state and county government and other services
Founded in 1946, AIR is one of the largest and most successful behavioral and social science research organizations in the world. As a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization, AIR is committed to empowering communities, institutions, and individuals with innovative solutions to the most enduring as well as contemporary challenges in education, health, workforce productivity, and international development. AIR's mission is to conduct and apply behavioral and social science research to improve people's lives and well-being, with a special emphasis on the disadvantaged.